Friday 31 August 2012

How's It Cooking?

You may be asking, it may be the furthest thing from your mind...
I am cooking.
A little by little I am finding interesting things to do with my limitations. First thing was cooking 12 meatballs in a frying pan on Monday evening. I took some tomato sauce from the fridge, which was preprepared and also found some salad. Toasted two half bagels and hey presto. With the salad leaves and bagel, a half pepper roughly chopped in mid-air over the bowl and chopped up some of the cooked meatballs, our appetite was satisfied. Then we had a piece of fruit each and OH had some ice cream.
Tuesday lunch was easy (guess what!!) but I gave more thought to my breakfast. I toasted oat flakes, quinoa flakes, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, from a ready mixed packet, mixed in raspberries for the last minute and once it was in a bowl I mixed in two generous spoonfuls of yoghurt.
By Wednesday I was exhausted. Not surprising really with the longer weekend! I still hadn't done any washing... did I care! no! we still have clothes in the wardrobe (I had purposefully made sure last year that we had enough underwear and clothes to see us through for 14 days if I just couldn't cope with organising washing and husband was too busy elsewhere).
Out came an emergency stash of chicken and pepper from the freezer and I ate it with more salad for lunch. (what am I going to do without salad in the winter!)
Yesterday I finished the meatballs with more salad (today I made a dressing!) and made scrambled eggs for breakfast. It was another day on the sofa for me, but hey ho!
Today I have sat at the table with unripe peaches, peeled them, chopped them and put them in a pyrex dish lined with shop-bought pastry (I am so looking forward to making my own again!- I wish I could buy wholemeal pastry in the shops!) In went a tablespoon of brown sugar, the peaches, two stoned and quartered plums and some raspberries from the freezer, another spoonful of sugar and over went the rough edges of the pastry with a finger of butter to stop the edges burning and into the oven. 25 minutes, 10 minutes, and 10 more minutes later out it came... I am so pleased I could lift it up to check the sogginess of the bottom with the see-through dish!
So it didn't take long. Chicken in the fridge will have to be easy-peasy with tomato sauce and rice I think. I was hoping I could manage a quick curry, but that might wait until tomorrow.
You see; it's not cooking too badly!

No comments:

Post a Comment