Sunday 12 August 2012

Detox

What is happening those few days when exercise just doesn't come and  digestion is corrupt. It can feel like a flu, a stomach bug, a total confusion. Without the muscle aches from before it has been suggested to me that it could be detox.
My body has been keeping toxins like its hoarding for an Armageddon. Where do they go? As far as my logic takes me the 'dark side' is sitting in the crevices, the shadows, waiting for an opportunity to attack.
My body hasn't gone so far as some. I'm not ready for that yet. In the final stages of recovery. where nearer normal activity is achieved, I know some patients who have had a ridiculous number of cod and flu bugs within a matter of months. The ME patient is likely to have either an over active immune system or an under active immune system. In an over active immune system- like mine- my friends will have colds, flus, my husband will complain about hacking coughs and the dreadful bugs that 'go round' at work, he brings the germs home and I catch nothing. Or so I think. I noticed last year when it was pointed out to me that an immune system in dysfunction could go into overdrive, that my colds and flus were actually present but were very mild. I had only thought that a sore throat was a symptom of ME. But that I realised that I would have this for a while and then it would go away, I might have blocked sinuses for a couple of days and then nothing. It was the over active immune system that sent me to bed for the following two weeks that gave me the clues. It was fighting so hard I had no energy to do anything else. My colds had so few symptoms other than extreme exhaustion.
A friend of mine who also has ME must have an under-active immune system- she has colds and flus like they are ganging up and persecuting her for some unknown reason.
As I have been so exhausted and unable to move when these viruses and bacterial infections hit me they sit and wait, in the muscles, body fluids- in some ME research, proteins have been found in the spinal fluid which distinguish ME patients from Lymes disease and healthy controls.(link)
All these cold and flu bugs are waiting for the body to deal with them in the proper way. For now it is the smaller every day toxins that the body has found it hard to eliminate. I am no doctor or cellular biologist, so wont attempt to explain it, but I do know that as my energy channels open up, for example the ability for the arms and hands, the legs and feet to have a more regulated temperature and a more normal blood pressure, then I will be clearing out these spaces and will notice the muscles feeling less tense as I take a day's rest.                
I mustn't be so afraid of a little exhaustion as I have been before. My legs don't collapse beneath me, I just fancy a sleep on the sofa during the day, or a quieter day in general. As long as I continue to be aware of what my body needs I will be progressing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment