Sunday 5 August 2012

Going For Gold

Mo Farah
Jessica Ennis
Greg Rutherford

Super Saturday it was. Disregarding the other medals for the moment I have always been a massive fan of Athletics. I remember watching Daley Thompson, Seb Coe, Steve Ovett, Steve Cram, Fatima Whitbread, Carl Lewis, Colin Jackson, and on, and on, and on through the years.

Last night I shared it with a friend on the phone. We watched Jess finish the heptathlon- I had seen all of her events over the last two days and my Saturday evening was planned with the culmination of that at Mo Farah's 10,000 metres. Considering I find 100 metres quite an effort at the moment I had quite a salute for  him.
I loved the sound of the crowd and singing the National Anthem for Jess was amazing. I didn't sing, I just wanted to listen. Never heard anything like it. The sound was obviously contained much more in the stadium than it had been in The Mall at the Jubilee concert, so it was so uplifting.

In the rowing I think Helen glover's story hits me the strongest. Becoming an Olympic champion after only beginning to row four years ago helps me realise that my recovery is not out of reach. I can manage such a feat, it is within my grasp. I have the tools, the coaches, the information to hand, I just have to be strong in my heart, be determined and dedicated and the result will appear in good time.

Going for Gold! (to those who know, I keep thinking of the quiz show song! with Henry Kelly)

No comments:

Post a Comment