Saturday 23 June 2012

Which Books?

I know I have already talked about books. But today, after a couple of friends who also have ME asked me which books I would recommend for easy reading, I thought I would let you know which books I have read over the last few months.
One book which has been in my handbag and is a read for whenever we sit in a coffee shop and I feel like a page, a quick section or 30 minutes of light reverie is... The Chocolate Cake Sutra: Ingredients For a Sweet Life by Geri Larkin. This was a very well received recommendation from my Yoga teacher. It is written as a humorous autobiography through the author's life becoming and practising as a Buddhist priest. She is a single mother, a former company executive and very grounded, also having as many mistakes and failings as the rest of us- teaching us all the while to persevere, find your own space and come back to your roots; of breath, calmness and humour. I bought this secondhand from Amazon (somehow it feels even better in my hand, knowing someone else has enjoyed it too) 2 months ago and still have a way to go. Although only 182 pages, I am enjoying taking it in slowly and thinking over each story as it happens.
A couple of books specific to ME and chronic illness are How To be Sick, by Toni Bernhard and Why ME? By Alex Howard. How To Be Sick is a good grounding read which I have had for many years and keep returning to as a reminder of how to focus. Coming to terms with the illness is so important in ME- I always thought I had found peace, but inside I was still fighting. When you are ill, the instinct is to keep pushing, keep battling every niggle and prove to yourself and others that you're not giving up. By stepping back and accepting the position, you learn to listen to your body when it is telling you to sit down or ask someone else to help fill the dishwasher when you just have no energy. This book encourages the listening and helps you understand that you can step back without being a victim or a failure. Why ME? Is by Alex Howard, the founder of The Optimum Health Clinic. It charts his recovery from ME, from the darkest days at the age of 16 through to his early 20s when he found the spiritual strength to find some solutions. He and a fellow recovered ME patient began the clinic to help others and this book also charts the beginnings of their research and successes with their first patients.
I have also read magazines from here, there and everywhere in the last six months. Free supermarket magazines, hand-me-downs from friends, (my Mum even picked up complementary ones from the departure lounge when she recently went on a cruise!) magazines about my hobbies-even if I couldn't do much knitting, cooking or yoga I could learn from the page and keep up with current ideas and new trends. These are ideal to flick through in an afternoon when nothing else is really possible- also great for poor memory as the same article can be read over and over!
Currently I am reading The Art Of Effortless Living, by Ingrid Bach- on page 47 of 382, but liking what I have read so far. Also Yoga Nidra: a meditative practice for deep relaxation and healing, by Richard Miller and Mindfulness for Beginners: reclaiming the present moment and your life, by Jon Kabat-Zinn.
As these are non-fiction and more like study books I have been dipping in and out and reading a few pages at a time.
I'll write about some good fiction reads in tomorrow's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment