Friday 1 June 2012

Discipline

I should be proud of myself that I am holding back, that I am deciding to choose discipline over the desire to tidy, clear, beautify the garden. Holding back is so difficult. I'm also deciding to sit down instead of standing, to sleep instead of visit a friend. But it is so difficult.
I'm taking a splint off my leg and bringing it back to life with physiotherapy and gentle exercise. I am regenerating my whole body- not like Doctor Who; in a few minutes- probably over a few years.
Discipline is happening in every part of my life and I have to be so careful. Also, thanks to the new pacing information I have been reading, I know I have to push the limits occasionally. The patients who heal faster and more securely are the patients who have a few set-backs along the way. Set-backs every 4-6 weeks rather than every week, so gently testing the ground as progress continues. Muscles grow stronger by being pushed, broken and then healing just as a young tree trunk will be stronger if it is unsupported, so allowed to sway in the wind. Important aswell is resting; not necessarily sleeping but sitting or lying and doing nothing, which will aidthe healing on a daily basis. Matching that with doing a little more activity regularly is confusing!
I do not like these healing times, so much more rest is needed as I test the water. Just a little more activity last week, with the hot weather, sent me to bed. It gave me the realisation that I need to be careful for another few weeks and let myself heal, before stretching that little bit more again.

No comments:

Post a Comment