Wednesday 12 December 2012

Selfish Escapism

You've guessed it! We're running away this Christmas. Finding some peace and quiet to escape the exhausting round of family get-togethers that can dictate Christmas. We see family throughout the year so there is no need to definitely choose Christmas as the one time we see everyone from all sides of the family within one week!
I have to be selfish and put my needs first. I did it last year and had a wonderful time. We had meals delivered by the supermarket, all ready to go in the oven. More expensive than ready-meals, but cheaper than going out or eating takeaways. And it was lovely. I saw my parents and siblings for a couple of hours, spending much of that time lying on the sofa. I then enjoyed quiet time, with my husband, watching DVDs, sleeping when I needed to and we also continued researching ME and began my routine of meditation and yoga.
I have come a long way in the last 12 months. I can dress myself. I can leave the house without fear of collapse. I can talk to someone on the 'phone for more than 10 minutes. I can be in a room with group of people and work out cognitively what is happening in the conversation! I can knit again. I can eat my husband's chocolate birthday cake next week and enjoy a pudding when we go out for a meal once a month, apple crumble after a main course or a chocolate muffin in a coffee shop-I'm not fussy, but the fact that my body doesn't react with dire consequences is amazing.

So much of this is down to yoga, meditation, the research in ME that helps me understand my different symptoms and how to cope with and stop them. I have also removed myself from positions that didnt help me, from people and places, objects and situations that gave me the worst symptoms. Saying "no" a lot more (and believe me I said it a lot anyway!) but also realising that people respect me for being able to make "no" decisions. I'm doing what is right for me and it is helping me recover.
Happy Christmas Everyone!

1 comment:

  1. You go, girl!

    My new healing mantra: conserve myself. That is to say focus on building up my store of energy mostly by not spending it. Sounds like you are on the same track. I'm not sure selfish is the right word here.

    Love, Kate

    ReplyDelete