Thursday 24 May 2012

Monthly Achievements

So I have been jogging along, sitting on my wave of gentle ups and downs, good days, not so good days. Times of improvement, times of wishing something would happen. Along this wave I am seeing myself achieving little things. Things which appear trivial but are actually major leaps. Here is a list of what I am doing now, which I would not have attempted just two months ago:
Filling up a kettle and walking with it from the sink to the power point.
Making Muffins!
Tidying away bits and pieces without becoming breathless.
Get dressed standing up. (That is amazing- I used to sit on the bed and ask my husband to bring my clothes to me and he would actually put my shoes on for me)
Knitting for 45 minutes occasionally, without aching or feeling breathless.
Walking from our front door to the car, confidently and with purpose.
Sitting at the kitchen table, typing (yes, I started doing that this week!)
On the subject of sitting at a table, I can actually sit without a support for my head for a couple of hours some days.
I picked up a watering can, 5 litres of water, without thinking twice, and watered a pot plant.
Eating a meal with a knife and fork, somedays I regress to finger food, but I am progressing past that toddler stage more and more often, again without thinking.
Standing poses in my yoga. This is a great achievement and gives me hope that I will be doing more walking soon.
I am actually sitting sometimes thinking 'what shall I do now?'. because of this I wrote out a list of activities for myself to use in these situations. Sitting without an activity usually gives me the same old 'phew' response, but actually thinking 'I want to do something' is great.
I can fill up the washing machine- I did it yesterday and did a celebration dance with my husband. He thought I was totally mad, but it was amazing- especially as I had also just removed the duvet cover and sheet from the bed. (so what that I needed a sleep afterwards!!)

Little things are happening; glimpses are appearing. I mustn't reach too far and forget my long-term goal. If I am cautious and take a couple more months to reach my recovery I will not complain. As ever I am smiling all over my face!

No comments:

Post a Comment