Friday 18 May 2012

Chocolate Wednesdays

I have talked about my restricted diet. Because of my Candidiasis my everyday food has been restricted for almost twenty years. No sugar, including most fruits, no refined carbohydrates, no cheese or any other form of yeast. Thanks to these restrictions my digestion is finally showing signs of returning to pre-candida acceptance. So much so that I have... eaten a chocolate muffin!
One each day for the last three days. Wow. I remember those days so well. The recipe for my Wednesday bake had to be easy to create-as mentioned in Making Muffins! I also needed a recipe without milk and baking fat as we were seriously diminished in the fridge department. Thankfully my wonderful Muffins book, a present from my sister last year, proved very helpful. Replacing milk with an instant coffee/150ml water mix was the answer and I also searched for an option with oil instead of baking fat. So in went the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. The mixer was ready. I then had a sit down, while the coffee cooled down and prepared the muffin cases. Next was yoghurt, sugar, egg, oil, cocoa powder and the coffee. It looked wonderful all stirred together in the Pyrex jug. Like a rich, thick, gooey sauce ready to pour over ice cream or a sticky sponge pudding.
So I slowly poured it into the mixer and let it mix.
I half filled each muffin case and then added an extra touch-a piece of plain chocolate in the centre of each, before dividing out the rest of the indulgent concoction!
Into the oven and 20 minutes to relax. Wednesday was a good day; sunny, although not really warm enough to sit outside for longer than ten minutes. I managed to rinse and tidy up most of the bowls and spoons I had used for the baking as well as putting all the ingredients away. I had an afternoon in bed with the BBC adaptation of Cranford for company, and also achieved a bit of knitting.
I am getting used to being physically tired. Wednesday was one of those days. It felt great to get to bedtime being exhausted on the outside. My tiredness is sometimes all on the inside, I feel the whole of my body being dragged to the floor. My mind becomes clouded, with very little retention of anything much that is taken in. Today is one of those days. On a tired day I try to lift myself above it- instead of struggling with words, I'm searching through a thesaurus as I'm writing! My head needs support from an arm on a table, my eyes are battling the lids. I'm caught in a loop, every minute thinking 'I'll be better in a minute'! Of course this rarely works, as I am actually exhausted! So I decide to float. I observe the anarchy of my body, the pleasures I can still enjoy in this situation. I eat a fruit yoghurt, watch a favourite film, choose a different chair and bob about in middle of the ocean knowing that shore will find me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment